- Applications for the COVID Rent Relief Program administered by NYS HCR will open on July 16th, and applications must be submitted online or by mail within two weeks. You can apply here: https://hcr.ny.gov/RRP
- All detailed information about the program can be found here: https://hcr.ny.gov/RRP
- Applicants must meet the following eligibility criteria:
○ Before March 1st and at the time of application, household income must have been below 80% of the Area Median Income, paid more than 30% of their income in rent. You can review NYCs Area Median Income, based on household, here: https://hcr.ny.gov/system/files/documents/2020/07/crrp2020_eligible_income_80ami.pdf
○ You must not have been in receipt of a housing subsidy that caps your rent at 30% of their income (like Section 8 or NYCHA). However, You can apply if you live in rent regulated and market-rate homes.
○ Household must have someone in the household with U.S. citizenship or eligible immigration status (can be a minor)
○ Households Must have lost income between April 1st and July 31st
- Mixed status families (e.g. a family with a U.S. born child) can apply. IDNYC is accepted as proof of identity.
- This is not a first come first serve type of program. However, HCR will have to prioritize applications from tenants with the lowest incomes and highest rent burden due to limited funds.
- Applicants will be given notice whether they are eligible and the amount of funds that will be sent to their landlords.